Sweet Potato, Corn, Jalapeno Pepper & Tempeh Soup
This easy, filling vegan soup brightens up the fall flavors of sweet potato and corn by adding jalapeño and protein-packed SoyBoy organic tempeh. Hint: Peel, halve and thinly slice the sweet potatoes while you’re sautéing the diced onion so the raw potato doesn’t discolor after peeling. This soup may be just as good served cold as hot... especially on a hot day.
- Remove the kernels of corn from 4 large ears of corn into a large mixing bowl, add the cubed tempeh, chopped jalapeno pepper, ground cumin and salt to taste, add 2 Tbs. oil and toss to combine.
- Add a splash of vegetable oil to a heavy bottomed soup pot, on medium to medium-high heat, add the diced onion and cook that along to soften up. Once the onions have softened up, add the minced garlic and cook that for 30 seconds or so. Then add the sliced sweet potatoes to the pot and enough vegetable broth to just cover the potatoes and bring to a steady simmer.
- While the sweet potatoes are simmering along, add 1-2 Tbs. vegetable oil to another large, heavy bottomed pan and sauté the corn, jalapeno pepper and tempeh on medium heat for 5 minutes or so. Season to taste and turn the heat off.
- Once the sweet potatoes are nice and soft, use a hand blender (immersion blender) to carefully puree them, adding more broth or water if necessary. At that point, add the corn, jalapeno and tempeh to the pureed soup and season to taste if needed.
- 1 8 oz block SoyBoy Tempeh cut into 1⁄2” cubes
- 2 medium to medium-large sweet potatoes peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise (see hints)
- 4 large ears fresh corn kernels removed
- 4-5 cups vegetable broth (as needed, see procedure)
- 1 medium-large onion peeled and diced
- 2 large cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 large jalapeno peppers deseeded and finely diced
- 1.5 - 2 Tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt (or 1⁄4 tsp. table salt)
- 1-2 Tbs. olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- vegetable oil as needed for sautéing vegetables
- Salt and pepper to taste