Mexican Tortilla Soup with Smoked Tofu
Chef Dan Eaton created this easy-to-follow recipe for smoky Vegetarian Mexican-Style Tortilla Soup using SoyBoy Organic Smoked Tofu, fresh corn tortillas, and chipotle peppers.
Fresh Baked Tortillas:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and slice the package of fresh corn tortillas (in small stacks) into 1⁄2” wide strips. Add those to a large mixing bowl and toss with 3-4 Tbs. of vegetable oil and salt to taste. Spread the strips out onto two baking trays (in a single layer if possible) and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until crisp and golden brown. Keep your eye on them and toss occasionally for even toasting. (Alternately, use store bought tortilla chips)
- Add 1-2 Tbs. vegetable oil to a large, heavy bottomed soup pot on medium to medium-high heat and sauté the diced onion and minced garlic to soften.
- While you’re keeping your eye on that, and stirring it occasionally, add the can of diced tomatoes and two medium sized chipotle peppers to a blender. Once the onion is soft and translucent, carefully add that to the blender and puree everything until smooth.
- Add that mixture back to the soup pot and add the well drained can of red beans, add 2 cups of fresh or frozen corn, add 6-7 cups of vegetable broth and bring it up to a simmer.
- At some point, while the soup is gently simmering along, cube the two packages of smoked tofu, cube as much ripe avocado as you like and chop a big handful of fresh cilantro if you’re using it.
- Add the cubed, smoked tofu to the soup and let that simmer along for another 10-15 minutes.
- Then season it to taste and serve it up in deep bowls with the crispy tortillas, cubed avocado, chopped cilantro on top and finish with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- 2 8 oz packages SoyBoy Smoked Tofu
- 1 small package 4-5” round fresh corn tortillas baked according to procedure below (or use ready-to-go corn tortilla chips)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1-2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 medium size chipotle peppers or to taste (these are smoked jalapeno peppers...buy them canned in adobo sauce)
- 1 15 oz red beans drained
- 2 cups corn fresh or frozen
- 6-7 cups vegetable broth
- salt to taste
- 1 ripe avocado cubed
- fresh cilantro chopped
- fresh lime juice