Tofu Salad Sandwich
This quick and easy SoyBoy recipe for tofu salad sandwiches features Asian flavors and the texture of toasted walnuts.
- Plan ahead and drain the block of tofu really well. Then gently squeeze it in a clean kitchen towel to remove any excess water.
- Meanwhile, add 2 tsp. vegetable oil to a heavy bottomed pan on medium heat and toast 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts, stirring regularly, until lightly browned, season with salt to taste and immediately take them out of the pan to cool. (Alternately, substitute 1-2 Tbs. already toasted sesame seeds)
- Use a large mixing bowl to combine the drained tofu, tahini, soy sauce, sesame oil, mustard, cilantro, green onion and minced ginger. Add 2-3 Tbs. vegan mayonnaise and gently mash everything together, adding more mayonnaise if desired.
- Fold in the toasted chopped walnuts (or toasted sesame seeds) and keep cold in a tightly sealed container in the fridge until ready to serve on whole grain bread with optional sliced tomatoes and fresh baby spinach.
- 1 block SoyBoy Firm Tofu (see procedure)
- 1/2 cup walnut halves and pieces (rough chopped)
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. sesame oil
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard (grainy if you have it)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbs. chopped green onion or chives
- 1-2 Tbs. peeled, finely minced fresh ginger
- 3-4 Tbs. Tbs. vegan mayonnaise (or more as needed)
- whole grain bread (for serving)
- sliced tomateos
- fresh spinach