Blackened Tempeh Po’Boy with Cajun Remoulade
This saucy vegan sandwich recipe is a delicious use of SoyBoy's organic soy tempeh. Cajun spice rub makes it spicy!
- Use a food processor to make the remoulade by adding 1/2 small, deseeded red Bell pepper, 1 small stalk of celery, 1 green onion, a loosely packed 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise, 1 Tbs Dijon mustard, 1 Tbs ketchup, Tabasco to taste, 2 Tbs well drained prepared horseradish, 2 tsp paprika and 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper, put the lid on top and puree until nice and smooth, stopping the machine and scraping down the sides if needed. Keep cold until ready to use.
- Partially slice the rolls, or sections of baguette, gently open and brush the cut sides with olive oil.
- Cut the 8-ounce block of tempeh crosswise into 6 equal pieces, then filet each piece thinly in half for 12 slices total.
- Place them onto a large plate, brush them with a little olive oil on each side and generously season both sides with a prepared Cajun blackening spice rub.
- Toast the sliced, olive oil brushed sides of the rolls in a heavy bottomed nonstick pan (one or two at a time), remove them and then add the Cajun spiced tempeh to the dry pan and cook those for a minute or two on each side and it’s time to eat.
- Assemble the Po’ Boy’s with sliced tomatoes, julienne lettuce, 3 pieces of blackened tempeh and finish with Cajun remoulade.
- Keep leftover remoulade in a covered container in the fridge for other uses.
- 4 small sub rolls, or 4 sections of baguette partially sliced and cut sides brushed with olive oil
- 1 8-ounce package Soy Boy tempeh (see procedure)
- Cajun blackening spice rub as needed (buy in the spice isle of larger supermarkets)
- Thinly sliced tomato as needed
- Julienne lettuce as needed
- 1/2 small red Bell pepper deseeded and chopped
- 1 small stalk celery rough chopped
- 1 green scallion rough chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves loosely packed
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs. Ketchup
- 4-5 shakes Tabasco
- 2 Tbs. prepared horseradish very well drained
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne